The charter is a step by step approach, working to achieve environmental and social sustainability in local businesses.
Justin has served as deputy chair of the charter management committee and is currently serving as a committee member.
The following are some of the actions we have taken.
- Undergoing a sustainability audit.
- All vehicles are emissions tested annually and conform to Euro 4 emissions standards as a minimum.
- Wherever possible waste is minimised and re-used or recycled.
- Providing Recycling Facilities at our main office.
- Using rainwater collection at our main office for washing wetsuits, fleeces, etc.
- Using biodegradable eco friendly chemical for washing wetsuits, fleeces, etc.
- Using chemical free microfibre technology for cleaning the base.
- We donate rafting vouchers to community organisations for fundraising purposes.
- Wherever possible energy use is minimised, for example using low energy light bulbs and line drying river fleeces and wetsuits whenever possible.
- Using washable rather than disposable plates for river lunches.
- Researching and implementing an interpretation plan to ensure that stories we share with our customers are based on fact and approved by local Iwi (Maori Tribe) Te Arawa
- Community involvement - owner Justin Hutton has given his time to local and industry groups including the New Zealand Rafting Association, Business Swap, and the Sustainable Charter Management Committee.
- Replacing our LPG heating with an energy efficient Heat Pump.
- Sponsoring Department of Conservations Conservation Week and running our own annual Conservation Week event cleaning up the Ohau Channel.
Play your part
Protect the environment for your own sake, for the sake of those who come after you, and for the environment itself.
Toitu te whenua (Leave the land undisturbed)
If you wish to offset your own carbon emissions have a look at the following links
Calculate your personal ecological footprint