From splashing through the rapids to riding through the forest, our raft and 4WD buggie combo has what the big kid inside all of us is screaming out for!
KAITUNA RIVER RAFTING – GRADE 5
AWESOME! GET WET, GET WILD!
Raft Down the Kaituna Waterfall!
The River Rats Kaituna Waterfall Experience will see you paddling through the pristine heart of the best rafting region in New Zealand – Okere, Rotorua. This spectacular 2.0 – 2.5-hour experience provides all the gear you need, initial training, and around 50 minutes on the water.
Enjoy a thrilling mix of dropping down three waterfalls, pushing through 14 rushing rapids, and paddling through calm waters of recovery where you can look back in awe at what you have achieved.
The Kaituna Waterfall Experience is suitable for many ages and stages from nature lovers to adventurous first-timers (13 years and over) and total thrill-seekers. Soak up the calm peacefulness of the lush native bush surrounding the Kaituna River and realise what 100% Pure New Zealand really means. You will appreciate the warmer waters of the North Island as the water splashes over the raft while you take on the rapids with your expert guide.
The area is steeped in Māori history and you will learn about the history and caves where the women and children were hidden and then later used as the burial ground for Chief Tutea – hence the naming of the mighty waterfall the Tutea Falls.
The Tutea Falls on Kaituna (Okere) River, Rotorua is the world’s highest commercially rafted waterfall at an almighty 7 meters. There is plenty of time to build up anticipation and practice your newly acquired skills in the rapids and two smaller waterfalls before the big drop.
On average around one boat in 20 will flip upside down at the bottom of the big waterfall, however, all the major rapids are followed by calm water, so there is time to get the boat back upright and get everyone back in.
Safety is paramount and our expert guides have been riding these rapids for many years and they still love every minute of this thrilling experience!
Where We Meet:
Meet us at our base Hangar 14s, Rotorua Airport, 837 Te Ngae Road, Roturua or arrange for our shuttle to pick you up from your central Rotorua accommodation.
Trips are subject to minimum numbers, water levels, and weather conditions.
- Suitable for all active people 13 years and over.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Around 15 – 20 minutes of training is provided prior to the trip teaching all the required paddle commands and safety information.
- Professional photographs are taken of each River Rats rafting trip and the Kaituna Grade 5.
- Recommended minimum weight limit: 40kg
- Recommended maximum weight limit: 125kg
- Complimentary pick up is available from central Rotorua accommodation approximately half an hour before the trip.
- 45 to 50 minutes on the water, allow around 2 to 2 1/2 hours from the start time at base or around 3 hours including Rotorua transfer
• Safety helmets
• Life jackets
• Polar fleece tops (weather dependent)
• Spray jackets (weather dependent)
• Wetsuit booties
What to bring:
• Shorts in summer (Dec-Mar)